TNCC English 109 Fall, 2013 M & W, 11-12:15
We get by with a little help from our friends.
Last Updated, 25 August 2014, 11:00 a.m.
- Emotional Intelligence resources
- English 109 syllabus (including graded assignments and grading criteria.)
- 2013 Academic and holidays calendar. Refer to this for important dates during the Spring semester.
- Webster's Dictionary Online & YourDictionary.Com
- Schoolhouse Rock. No, seriously: music is a very brain-compatible way to learn.
- I use the On Course Student Success index as a resource for teaching and supplementing this class.
- The "On Course Principles" are excellent guidelines for keeping yourself on course to academic success and to success in life!
- Advice and guidelines for analytical reading of texts: SQ3R
- Overview of note taking strategies and formats
- Cornell notes format for lectures and reading. Video on how to write Cornell notes
- Study Guides and Strategies website: Study and test-taking techniques, memory techniques, time and project and stress management, and content study guides for subjects in math and science, social sciences, literature and writing, and much more.
- While designed for working professionals, the Mind Tools web site has many useful self-help links, including techniques for memorizing.
- "The 12 Steps to Academic Success" by Dr. Earl Bloch, Howard University Medical College
The Learning Toolbox An excellent resource site from James Madison University with information on staying organized, test taking, study skills and strategies, critical and analytical thinking, and how to be successful in the 3 r's: readin' and writin' and 'rithmatic.
- W. W. Norton (Publisher) On-line Handbook
- The Norton Handbook's editing exercises
- Learning Links online library courtesy of New River Community College, Dublin Virginia
Contact Mr. D. by email, firstname.lastname@example.org; by phone, 825-3543; or in person, room 874, first floor of Templin Hall
Wednesday, August 20
In class: Foundations.Introductions and information-gathering for colleagues quiz.
In-class: Access Chap. I of On Course online 2. On Course pre-semester self-assessment.
2] Access O.C. Chap. 1 and read about journal writing. 3] Begin Journal-1
Homework for Wednesday 9/4:
1] Read pages xv-20 of On Course
Journal entries 1 & 2
3] Complete the colleagues quiz which Angela distributed to you
Return to Mr. D.'s main page